Crawford Slams Young

Joe C’s got a post today about Carl Crawford complaining about Delmon Young’s maturity level, lumping him in with Elijah Dukes. He was really harsh about it, but I don’t think he realized exactly what he was saying.

“They could do whatever they wanted to do and they did whatever they wanted to do. Being loud, talking too much, saying whatever they wanted to whoever they wanted to say it to. There weren’t no rules for those guys. Now they’re going to somewhere where they have rules, so I don’t know what’s going to happen then.”
No rules for two talented young players who clearly need guidance, in the game and in their lives? Now, it’s possible that I just like Delmon Young because he’s the newest (good) Twin, and I want him to succeed and become a big star who outshines Garza and Bartlett. But maybe there’s a reason Tampa Bay has never won 70 games.

A team needs rules. Some rules are stupid (no “bling bling” or windbreakers, despite the fact that the team distributes windbreakers and the goal of every season is to acquire some bling at the end), but having them helps to keep people in line. If Tampa Bay had no rules, then it’s no wonder the franchise has been in disarray throughout its history. And I don’t want to think about the implication of taking Crawford literally when he says “There weren’t no rules for those guys.” Is it possible that these two were the exception to the team rules? Because if that’s the case, it’s even worse than not having any rules at all.

The Twins are a better run organization than the (Devil) Rays. The sky is blue.

Delmon Young is probably going to clean up his act, and make Crawford look like an idiot.

1. FunBobby February 20th, 2008 10:23 am

I don’t thnk we can judge the accuracy of Crawford’s statements yet. If Young has no personality issues from this point forward, it will seem as though it really was the (Devil) Rays fault for letting him act out. If he is starting fights during practice, then maybe it is a problem the Twins need to address. I am optimistic based on what I’ve heard Delmon say thus far.

2. Tom Stanley February 20th, 2008 10:28 am

I found your site on technorati and read a few of your other posts. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed to my Google News Reader. Looking forward to reading more from you.

Tom Stanley

3. sirsean February 20th, 2008 10:30 am

Thanks for reading, Tom! Glad you enjoy the site.

Not only have Delmon’s words been promising, but so have the words of everyone around him. There hasn’t been anyone in the Twins organization (including the Minnesota press) who has a bad thing to say about him.

Joe C’s closing comment is telling: “One thing I’ll say after getting to know Young for our recent profile is he is not Elijah Dukes. Completely different situation. For Crawford to lump them together seems a little unfair. Just my two cents.”

4. FunBobby February 20th, 2008 11:38 am

I’ve been saying this since the twins acquired Young. Over half of the bad press he gets comes from being so closely associated with Elijah Dukes. Delmon had the bat incident, he was angry at a call and reacted. Poorly. Other than that I don’t think he really has done much. Dukes on the other hand, beats his wife, threatens to kill her, lashes out at teammates and coaches. He broke several laws, where as Young just broke a few baseball rules. There is a huge difference.

5. sirsean February 20th, 2008 11:43 am

All true.

And when Young threw the bat at the ump, there were even more extenuating circumstances. He’d been sent down to the minors to work on his plate discipline (he’s a notorious free swinger), and so he was trying to do that to improve himself as a player. Meanwhile, there was an umpire strike, so the guy behind the plate didn’t know what he was doing. The ball was out of the strike zone, and the amateur ump called it a strike.

The way Young saw it (in that instant), why should he bother being down in the minors working on plate discipline and strike zone control when the umpires down there don’t know what a strike looks like?

I think that makes perfect sense, and I’d have been pretty frustrated too. That said, throwing a bat is not acceptable. And I think it’s pretty clear that Delmon knows it too.

6. Grizz February 20th, 2008 12:08 pm

I am just hoping to attribute that action of throwing the bat to a really young player have many things go wrong for him at the same time, and have everything boil over. I do not like to make excuses for people’s actions, but it is easy to forget how young some of these players are, and how they have been put on pedestals their whole lives. I think a more disciplined team and a fresh start with new players who are notorius for staying out of trouble (Guitar Hero parties rather than strip club outings) will help him immensely. Thinking about issues like this reminds me of how great it is to have someone like Mauer on the team, as a guide to young players on how to manage talent and stay out of trouble.

7. sirsean February 20th, 2008 12:14 pm

I think Morneau is a better example than Mauer. Mauer was always a bit dorky, which I think would make it harder for the other players to relate to him.

On the other hand, Morneau was a big partier. He’d stay out drinking all night, fairly regularly.

Then he changed his ways and became an MVP-caliber player.

That’s the kind of lesson that’ll resonate with young guys like Delmon.

(Though, to undermine my own point, it was Mauer who had the most influence on Morneau’s transmogrification.)

8. FunBobby February 20th, 2008 12:36 pm

I think its really more of a group leadership than one individual player. Between Cuddyer, Mauer and Morneau, we have a good leadership core. Hopefully a pitcher can join them because I’m not sure how much time hitters and pitchers spend together. It would be nice to have a leader on the pitching staff as well.

9. sirsean February 20th, 2008 12:45 pm

Santana and Silva were the leaders of the pitching staff, but that was pretty brief. We need one (or two) of the young guys to step up and be the next Radke.

(In the clubhouse, that is. I’d prefer that they’re better than Radke on the mound.)

10. Texas February 20th, 2008 5:54 pm

By the way did you check out LaVelles blog. apparently Span intends to win the CF job. Priceless!

11. sirsean February 21st, 2008 9:15 am

I’d rather he go out trying to win the CF job than go out trying to suck.

The fact that he sucks will get in the way of his dreams, but they certainly shouldn’t be part of his dreams.

12. FunBobby February 21st, 2008 9:35 am

At least he is staying positive. Maybe now that he has a clear path he might show us something we haven’t seen before.