More Spring Training Notes

• Apparently Jesse Crain threw to real hitters for the first time since May.  I don’t think it should count since those “hitters” were Nick Punto and Adam Everett.  Although kudos to the coaching staff for giving Crain a nice confidence boost.
  • Kevin Slowey looked good in his first pitching session. Word is he was throwing really hard.  Harder than anyone has seen him throw before.  However, since the Twins don’t use radar guns in camp nobody really knows how hard he was actuall throwing.
  • Gardy officially made the call for Delmon Young to start in left, keeping Cuddyer in right. This is a smart move.  Make a note, because you can count on one hand how many times I will say Gardy made a smart move.
  • The lineup for tuesdays first spring game is as follows:

Denard Span- CF, Matt Tolbert- 2b, Brian Buscher-1b, Garrett Jones- RF, Tommy Watkins-3b, John Knott-LF, Randy Ruiz-DH, Felix Molina-SS, Drew Butera-C.  Wow. Who in the world is John Knott?

1. sirsean February 25th, 2008 8:55 am

Hopefully Crain’s fixed his tell. I don’t think he can be effective again until he does.

Wow … that’s certainly the B squad lineup. Maybe they’re just trying to lower expectations; the team can’t possibly perform as badly as that lineup will.

2. FunBobby February 25th, 2008 9:30 am

Did anyone read today that Bonds’ agent said Japan is a real possibility for Barry in 2008?

I didn’t know Crain had a tell. I mean he was good in 2006, and only pitched 18 innings in 2007 due to a bum shoulder. Having a deep bullpen is going to be huge this year to do the young starting staff.

3. sirsean February 25th, 2008 9:36 am

I suspected it in 2006, but didn’t see it until spring training of 2007. I was about 20 rows up, and all the people sitting around me thought it was more than a little weird that I was saying what and where the pitch would be right before he threw it … for an entire inning.

(I’m not going to say what the tell is, for fear that someone might actually read it and start shelling Crain even worse.)

I don’t know if opposing hitters have found it, but with all the film people are watching these days, I find it hard to believe they haven’t.

4. FunBobby February 25th, 2008 9:48 am

Good news, Casilla arrived in camp on friday night and was ready for the first full squad workout saturday morning. Also, Liriano is supposed to finish up is paperwork today and arrive in camp tomorrow or wednesday. I really wish he wasn’t a week late, but it sounds like he was throwing at the twins facility in the DR.

5. sirsean February 25th, 2008 9:56 am

From Phil Miller: “Michael Cuddyer and Delmon Young, who never seem to be more than 10 feet from each other, stood and watched.”

I think that’s awesome. Definitely an indication that Delmon is being embraced by the nucleus.

6. FunBobby February 25th, 2008 1:25 pm

I agree. Good to know that our team leaders are ignoring what people like Carl Crawford are saying and not jumping to conclusions about Delmon’s attitude.

7. Grizz February 25th, 2008 3:42 pm

I am not to familiar with John Knott either. I also hope that Felix Molina is not another Molina brother. I couldn’t imagine a Molina’s range being very good.

8. FunBobby February 25th, 2008 3:48 pm

Good for Tommy Watkins for attempting to learn the catcher position. That way we can have him on the roster and he can play third, and be the emergency catcher Gardy feels the need to carry. Watkins is way better than Rob Bowen or Corky Miller, or whatever bum we had wasting a roster spot.

9. sirsean February 25th, 2008 4:46 pm

Also, I’d rather “reward” Watkins with a year at the major league level (and the 10x increase in pay that comes along with it) than the next version of Chris “Can’t Hit or Throw or Run” Heintz. (I’m pretty sure he thought being a “catcher” meant that “catching” is the only thing he had to do.)

The Twins tend to think in terms of “rewarding” its players, for better or for worse.