Cuddyer on Delmon

Buster Olney talked to Michael Cuddyer, and got this out of him via email:

E-mailed the Twins’ Michael Cuddyer and asked him about his first impressions of Delmon Young, and about landing his own long-term extension. Young, Cuddyer wrote in response, “has impressed. We all know how much talent he has and how good he is going to be, but what has impressed me the most is the way he has been carrying himself. He is really excited to be here, excited to learn, excited to be a part of our organization and a part of the way we do things. He has been nothing but eager to soak up the knowledge of Rod Carew, Tony Oliva, and I am sure Harmon Killebrew once he arrives. So in response to what has jumped out at me is not what has transpired on the field but what he has brought with him off the field. I think the middle of our lineup could, and entire lineup in fact, could really surprise a lot of people. For some reason a lot of people have forgotten about the accolades this team won two years ago and two of those three, obviously excluding the Cy Young, are still here. Add Delmon in there, Brendan Harris as well and we can potentially be pretty impressive. All of course on paper!”
Obviously we’ve been high on Delmon the whole time he’s been a Twin, and none of this is especially new, given the reports that have been coming out of the organization.

But it’s promising to hear that Cuddyer agrees, and is just as excited about Delmon as we are. Additionally, he seems to be jumping on my “Twins offense will be the surprise of the year” bandwagon. (There’s still plenty of room, by the way.) I like it, Mike. Keep up the good work. Of course, he’s missing the biggest key to the successful offense: the emergence of Kubel.

1. FunBobby February 26th, 2008 12:11 pm

I don’t think much more needs to be said on this topic. Good to have some quotes and not just sportswriters interpretation of things they saw from the press box on the second day of spring training. Kubel really is the key to the offense. To a lesser extent Mike Lamb is important too. I am also coming around on Craig Monroe, as long as he is used off the bench. He should be a good pinch hitter, expensive, but good.

2. sirsean February 26th, 2008 1:01 pm

Also, all the “cheaper” comparisons for Monroe are considering him as a “right handed corner outfielder with some pop,” and it’s easy to think Emil Brown is better than Monroe if you look at it that way. But the Twins keep saying they like it that Monroe can play CF in an emergency situation (as well as 1B), and that LF/RF/CF/1B/DH/PH flexibility is probably worth $2M to this team.

3. FunBobby February 26th, 2008 1:08 pm

Looks like Phil Humber got tagged by Concorida today. I’m not too worried consider I’m sure the concordia hitters were putting in much more effort than the twins pitchers at this point in camp. So lets hope he can show us something when he faces Major League players.

4. sirsean February 26th, 2008 1:11 pm

That’s not promising. Do you know how long Concordia has been practicing? If they’ve been looking at live pitching for a month or so, then they’d be a lot better prepared than the Twins’ hitters.

Also, sometimes pitchers get hit hard. Hopefully he rebounds from this and learns from it (I’m sure he will). This isn’t Boston, where Daisuke would have been run out of town on a rail if he’d had a less-than-stellar first impression.

5. FunBobby February 26th, 2008 1:23 pm

I know the college season starts significantly earlier than the pros, but I’m not sure if Concordia, being a small school is different. Either way, if it was a top college program I wouldn’t mind like Texas, Stanford, or Miami. But the fact that a former first rounder gave up homers to guys who play for concordia…its gotta be pretty humiliating for Humber.

6. sirsean February 26th, 2008 1:28 pm

Good. I’d rather he get humiliated in February than … at any other time, really. If he got humiliated a couple of times in April, we’d have to send him down and risk messing with his head (creating a new Lohse). As it is, we can let him work through it with the real team and grow as fast as possible.

However, he probably won’t make the team anyhow, and so this just gives him an opportunity to improve (and demonstrates that improvement is definitely necessary). Speaking of which … I hadn’t heard anything about his bullpens. I don’t know if that’s promising or not. (I’d heard that Slowey and Korecky look great, and that Boof and Baker are fine.)

7. Grizz February 26th, 2008 1:36 pm

Thank God games are starting to be played now. I was running out of things to speculate on. I was close to going to my last resort of bringing up the NFL combine or something about Clemens. Thankfully, we are on the path towards games nearly every day

8. sirsean February 26th, 2008 1:38 pm

I agree wholeheartedly. And MLB.TV will be automatically renewing itself sometime later this week … allowing me to watch many of the Spring Training games. (And trying not to look out the window while watching.)

9. sirsean February 26th, 2008 1:55 pm

Just learned that the Concordia players were using aluminum bats. I’d say that explains some of that power a little bit.

10. Texas February 26th, 2008 4:27 pm

I like Carl Crawford. He was a fantasy baseball stud last year for and hopefully this year too. I like him even more for lighting a fire under Young’s ass to prove he’s not a problem. Keep talking Carl, keep talking!