Sunday Gardy Mishaps

Sometimes Gardy manages to outdo himself. I really … I mean … I can’t say anything about it. Quote:

“Robin Williams would fit right now for us. He’d be my guy — multi-talented, lots of different characters. I think he could play anywhere,” Gardenhire said. “If it gets down to that and we all need to get a celebrity in there, it’s either going to be Garth Brooks or Robin Williams, I can’t decide which.”
Robin Williams or Garth Brooks? Seriously? I think Gardy misunderstands the “Twins Way” to mean “unathletic, banjo-hitting, uncoordinated, and untalented.” Frankly, I think this quote says all there is to say about Gardenhire as a manager.

Also got this little tidbit from Phil Miller:
Anyway, I stood behind the batting cage for awhile, and heard Nick Punto and Tommy Watkins — each of them have only one hit this spring — joking about “not wanting to peak too early.” They’re obviously feeling a little pressure to get going, but they’re keeping their sense of humor.
Yes. At least they have a sense of humor about not being able to hit the ball. Really, that’s the most important thing. Not, you know, starting to hit the ball. Fortunately for them, Gardy seems to share their misguided sense of humor. In today’s game, Everett is leading off (Gomez bats 9th), and Punto is the DH. If you can come up with two worse decisions for the lineup, I’d like to hear them.

If nothing else, Gardy seems to want to give us plenty of fuel. Inexplicable.

1. jpike March 16th, 2008 3:48 pm

Are you really as big an idiot as you make yourself sound? Punto and Watkins may not start hitting, but putting pressure on yourself and tightening up is a sure way to fail at it.

As far as the line-up goes – it’s SPRING TRAINING. Gomez is playing because he asked to get in every game. Everett wants extra at bats. Next you’ll be asking why they didn’t pull Livan earlier or leave some other pitcher who’s doing well in longer.

2. sirsean March 16th, 2008 8:10 pm

Um, I fully support Gomez getting all the ABs he wants. But if he’s supposed to be groomed as a leadoff hitter, he should continue to get that practice. And not have his ABs minimized by batting 9th.

If Punto’s sole value to the team is as a defender, why is he the DH? Does he need the practice? Do you think the fact that he went 1-4 and raised is average to .200 means he’ll get more time there, since he obviously hits so well?

I’m sure you’re pretty satisfied with Everett’s 0-4 between Gomez and Mauer. Nobody saw that coming.

Usually you want your lineup to start to gel, especially as you get close to the start of the season. That doesn’t happen by drastically messing with the order just for fun.

And I think it’s pretty obvious that in-game pitching changes during Spring Training aren’t open for criticism. I also thought it was pretty obvious that it’s never been mentioned. I am, however, pretty disappointed with Livan’s performances and the indications that he’ll be the Opening Day starter. And his repeated claims that he’s bad during Spring Training do not instill confidence.

Welcome to the site, by the way.

3. FunBobby March 17th, 2008 7:28 am

I agree, it is important to stay loose. The worst possible thing they could do now is try too hard. I think that is what Punto did last year. He isn’t a good hitter, but he also isn’t as bad as his 200 batting average indicated. I think we all know he will make the team, but I’m worried it will be as a starter. That isn’t where his value lies, it lies in his ability to play 3 (or more) positions well. I don’t think Watkins should make the team especially with the way Buscher has been hitting this spring. From all I’ve heard out of spring training, he has greatly improved his defense at third.

4. Texas March 17th, 2008 11:19 am

I woke up yesterday morning with a bit of a hangover and turned the TV on. Barbershop 2 was just starting on WGN. I flipped around and happened upon the Twins game. Well seeing as I haven’t gotten a chance to watch much spring training I started watching the game. Suffice to say watching Barbershop 2 was a more pleasant experience then watching Livan get shellacked by a bunch of Blue Jay nobodies.

5. sirsean March 17th, 2008 12:02 pm

Yeah, that was pretty sad. I didn’t get to watch it, since MLB.TV only had it on the radio. I still haven’t actually seen Livan pitch, but every time I listen, it just seems like he can’t get anyone out. It gets irritating quickly.

6. FunBobby March 17th, 2008 12:25 pm

The more times Livan pitches, the more I lose faith in his abilities. It just doesn’t look like he has what it takes to compete in the AL, he will look especially bad facing the Indians, Tigers, and White sox a bunch. I bet hunter takes him deep on opening day, if Livan does pitch in that game.

7. Texas March 17th, 2008 12:43 pm

His ERA is like 9.09 for the spring! Also tangetially, did you see Reusse’s piece on Gardy and Mauer, I believe in the saturday Strib. Priceless!

8. FunBobby March 17th, 2008 1:10 pm

So he claims he is always bad in spring training, and his ERA is 9. What is good? 7? Are we really going to have an opening day starter with an ERA of 7?

9. Scotty March 17th, 2008 2:40 pm

How about batting Punto second and Morneau fifth as Gardenhire did many times last year? I suppose Everett AND Punto in the same lineup is worse.

I think the sole fact that Gardenhire actually put this lineup together, even if it is spring training, tells us that he wanted to see how it looked and would be something he’d consider during the season. If you don’t think it’s possible that we’d see that lineup on a Sunday or Thursday afternoon, you’re giving Gardenhire way too much credit.

As for Hernandez, I’m just banging my head against the wall. Gardenhire seriously thinks he’s in mid-season form? Is he just an idiot on purpose? What would it take for him to actually get fired? Because constantly favoring no-talent ass clowns sure doesn’t do the trick.

10. sirsean March 17th, 2008 2:54 pm

I’m pretty sure Gardy just says stupid stuff sometimes. But I don’t know why. I figure it’s either because a) he wants to throw people off the scent of his upcoming brilliant and unconventional moves, or b) he doesn’t know what in blazes he’s doing. It’s probably a mix of the two, actually.

Ah, Sunday afternoon games. Get ready for Everett/Punto/Redmond at the top of the order.

11. FunBobby March 17th, 2008 3:00 pm

I think he just gives away roster spots for trying hard. Sometimes it seems as though he treats the game like little league, all that matters is you tried and learned the concept of teamwork. All those things are well and good, but you know what else is good: winning lots of games, especially in the playoffs. Was it just me, or the past few years did it seem like the Twins were just happy to be in the playoffs, and had no intention of winning? Billy Beane’s Oakland A’s teams were built like that. Win a lot of games in the 162 game season, but be pretty much out of steam by the playoffs.

12. sirsean March 17th, 2008 3:04 pm

Fundamentals. And trying hard in practice. These are the things that will win Gardy’s heart. (And presumably something involving copious amounts of tequila, a pregnant goat, and a camera … thus explaining Lew Ford’s otherwise inexplicable spot on the team.)

I agree that the team has seemed to be so happy that they’re in the playoffs that they don’t bother to show up. But I think that can (almost) be forgiven in 2006. They were playing on a knife’s edge for 4 months … and they probably actually were out of steam.

Still, that needs to be fixed.

13. Scotty March 18th, 2008 2:08 pm

You guys are exactly right about the “happy just to be here” attitude. It seems to be a theme among Minnesota sports teams, and part of the problem is that the fans are satisfied with that pinnacle of achievement. Never mind championships, we were in the playoffs!

Sorry, they don’t give out participation awards in pro sports.

14. sirsean March 18th, 2008 2:24 pm

I like it. And I must admit, after the rough stretch during the 90’s, I was pretty thrilled about getting to the playoffs for a couple years. But … we didn’t take the next step.

And I can’t decide if it’s a good or bad thing that we as a fanbase have become spoiled by repeated playoff appearances, to the point where we can say it’s not good enough.

Oh, and I have two things to say about that participation awards comment:

• The team gets a trophy for getting to the playoffs. So they do get an award for participating.
    • I would consider the giant professional paychecks to be “participation awards.” I’d take it.

Indeed, in a world where Nick Punto earns $2.4 million in a year … professional athletes seem to get their participation awards regardless of their actual participation.

Just saying.

15. garth brooks March 19th, 2008 3:58 am

[...] widely known as place for classical music and traditional singers. Pammy will be acelebfreaks.comSunday Gardy Mishaps Sometimes Gardy manages to outdo himself. I really ?? I mean ?? I can??t say anything about it. [...]