Let’s talk about Livan

So Livan Hernandez is our opening day starter. Probably.  When we first signed him, I thought, “Great, a back of the rotation starter who can chew up innings and only be slightly below average”.  Now that we are at the end of spring training we have “Great, a god awful front of the rotation starter who everyone wants to chew up innings, but he will do so with around a 6 era”.  If Livan is to be expected to pitch his customary 200 innings, we are going to have to concede a loss pretty much every time he pitches.  Think about it, in order to keep “project Livan” on track, we are going to have to allow him to average 6 2/3 innings per start for 30 starts.  So Gardy can’t go pulling him after 2 innings and 5 runs, or else why do we have him?  I am pretty sure this topic is a dead horse, but I haven’t had the chance to rant about it.  Didn’t the guy sport a nifty 5+ era in the NL? Imagine what he will post facing the Tigers and Indians over and over again.  Not only does he have a high era, but he gives up lots of homers: Hafner, Martinez, Seizmore, Cabrera, Magglio, Sheffield, and so on.  So when he pitches it will basically go: Livan 5 or 6 innings,  giving up lots of runs then bring in brian bass or someone to finish the game. I guess it conserves our pitchers, but KNOWING you will be down big early every 5th game can’t help clubhouse morale.  If we are already down a few runs after the top of the first, the offense might start trying to hard, and things will just unravel.  I like the idea of using a 10 man double rotation or something. Tony LaRussa did it when he managed in the AL, and he only has a few rings, whatever.  Think of it this way, Baker and Bonser could be traditional starts, ideally pitching 6 or 7 quality innings.  Then for the other three starts, the “starter” innings are split up between Slowey, Blackburn, Humber, Liriano (for a few months, then he becomes a traditional starter), and Perkins. So starting around May or June we have 3 normal starters (Baker, Bonser, Liriano) and 4 “tag team starters (Slowey, Blackburn, Humber, Perkins). This will allow the 4 younger guys to basically have a season long competition for the rotation in 2009.  Just a few thoughts.

1. Texas March 25th, 2008 11:06 am

I like the idea of a double rotation, but that would assume that we are conceding the season, which while I think we should, management seems to be committed to winning, with Livan apparently. Half-heartedly winning of course.

2. sirsean March 25th, 2008 11:18 am

Clubhouse morale?! Livan is a fat Latino veteran. Those guys are clubhouse gold. Right? (Wow. That was a weird Gardy-moment I had just there.)

About the double rotation … I think Boof will have to prove his stamina before we call him a traditional starter. He seems built for half-a-day work. I’m hoping that changes.

3. Texas March 25th, 2008 11:34 am

Clubhouse gold, perfect. I want to see the same sort of stamina from Liriano as well. I guess I don’t really trust him for more than 150 innings, yet.

4. Confused on 5th March 25th, 2008 11:51 am

Dear Bob, Since we are all about gambling WTF didn’t the Twins try signing the giant Bartolo ‘nacho-cheese filled’ Colon? I’m pretty sure he is beached down in spring training still for the Sox eating platters of the finest burritos, but for a million bucks I’d be willing to gamble on him. Please advise

5. sirsean March 25th, 2008 11:59 am

Signing Colon would have been a pretty big gamble, and I don’t think it’s all that wise for the Twins to have gone for it. We have a lot of young arms that need some time in the majors, and Colon would just take innings away from them.

I just don’t see it as worth it. (Plus, the Red Sox are much more likely to get lucky enough to get serviceable innings from Colon than the Twins are.)

6. Grizz March 25th, 2008 12:30 pm

When I was in Ft. Myers, I’m pretty sure I saw Bartolo Colon posted up at the Waffle House. It was hard to see though, with all the grease in the air. I am feeling more and more like Livan may be a Spanish speaking version Sidney Pontoon Boat. I was encouraged to see the prospective starting lineup in the Pioneer Press today. I think this lineup gives us the best chance to develope a team for the future, as well as maybe winning some this year. I like Punto on the team, but only as a late inning defensive replacement, or an OCCASIONAL spot starter. I hadn’t thought about doing the rotation the way Funbobby suggested, but it sounds pretty good to me.

7. Grizz March 25th, 2008 12:32 pm

Oh, but having Punto on the roster and available to start may just be a little too tempting for Gardy. I mean he does hustle and can catch pretty good

8. sirsean March 25th, 2008 1:12 pm

And now with Tolbert, Gardy’s going to be both tempted and confused.

Two guys who hustle hard on every single popout and double play ball??? Gardy must be in heaven.

9. Grizz March 25th, 2008 2:31 pm

Well, we officially know that the baseball season has started! Manny Ramirez has already stood at home plate and watched a ball he hit not be a home run. He barely made it to second on a ball that could have been a triple for a lot players. Thanks for opening the season with class Manny.

10. sirsean March 25th, 2008 3:14 pm

It may have been a triple for a lot of players, but I doubt Manny could have legged it out for three even if he’d hustled his ass off. Over the past 6 years, he’s averaging 0.67 triples per season … with a maximum of one. He’s not fast.

11. Texas March 25th, 2008 3:31 pm

i bet he’s wetting his pants just contemplating it. I can’t wait to see a Get away day Lineup card with Tolbert’s name next to the DH spot

12. sirsean March 25th, 2008 3:37 pm

Heh. Exciting.

Oh … since Buscher got sent down, who’s the backup first baseman? Mauer? Monroe? Cuddyer? Tolbert? Punto?

There aren’t really any good options, it seems.

13. FunBobby March 25th, 2008 5:47 pm

I’ve read its cuddyer.

14. IowaWigman March 26th, 2008 6:24 am

Anyone check out the article in the Star Trib today about Punto? Here’s a good quote from Gardy: On Punto, Gardenhire also said, “I like having him. Late-inning defensive things. Believe me, he’ll get used quite a bit. I like to see him out there on the field.”

Mother of God.