Opening Day

Well opening day is finally here.  I never thought I’d say this, but God bless the Metrodome. We are supposed to get several inches of snow in Minnesota today, which is not cool.  Anyway, today’s pitching matchup is Livan Hernandez (RHP) vs. Jared Weaver (RHP).  The big question today is will Gardy be smart and start Kubel at DH against the right handed Weaver, or will he be dumb and start Monroe. My money is on Monroe, hopefully I’m wrong.  Feel free to toss out predictions.  I think Livan will give up a homer to Hunter, and maybe Vlad, too.  However, since he was signed to be an innings eater, he will pitch 5 innings or more.  Regardless of how many runs he gives up Gardy won’t yank him, especially this early in the season.  This will cause us to get frustrated (read: drink lots of beers).

It sounds like Liriano will make one start at class A Ft. Myers, and then another 5 days later for Rochester, and the plan is to have him stretched out to 100 pitches by then and then call him up for the third time through the rotation.  My guess is Blackburn will then be sent to Rochester, but hopefully Livan has an ERA north of 11 after two starts and Gardy has to get rid of him.  This will not happen and we will continue to develop a problem drinking habit over the course of the season.  How about some predictions.

AL East: Yankees, AL Central: Indians, AL West: LAA, Wild Card: Boston AL CY young: CC, AL MVP: A-Rod, AL ROY: Longoria, ALDS: Boston over LAA, ALDS: Yankees over Indians. ALCS: Yankees over Boston.

NL: Who cares, they all suck anyway.

That is all, Go Twins!

1. A. Higgins March 31st, 2008 8:23 am

I like where your head’s at with the prognostication.

East: NYY Central: CLE West: SEA Wild Card: DET NYY over CLE SEA over DET NYY over SEA MVP: A-Rod CY: Felix Hernandez Rookie: Joba

East: NYM Central: CHI West: ARI Wild Card: SD CHI over SD ARI over NYM CHI over ARI MVP: Wright CY: Johan Rookie: Justin Upton

NYY over CHI

2. FunBobby March 31st, 2008 8:27 am

I’m wary of the Tigers because they pitching isn’t that deep and their pen is god awful. I also think the Yankees will go only as far as their young starters take them. If they play like they can, it will be far. If they falter they could miss the playoffs. I don’t think they will falter.

3. sirsean March 31st, 2008 8:36 am

From Joe C: “Gardenhire did not say whether Craig Monroe or Jason Kubel would be his DH for Monday’s season opener. Gardenhire said he wanted to look at the numbers again.”

Gardy must be a golfer. Because he’s going to “look at the numbers again” and decide to start Monroe anyway. Lower numbers are better, right?

4. sirsean March 31st, 2008 8:39 am

Another thing to remember about the Tigers is how old they are. Pudge, Mags, and Sheffield are just about ready to come crashing back to earth in much the same fashion as Thome, Dye, and Konerko did a couple of years ago.

If those guys aren’t bashing the ball, Detroit will still have a decent offense, but it won’t be as f’ing awesome as the guys on ESPN think.

5. FunBobby March 31st, 2008 8:53 am

I think Mags has one more really good year in him. As for Sheffield, and Pudge- I think they will have rough, injury plagued years. And they will be without Granderson for a while. Outside of Verlander their pitching staff isn’t all that great. Bonderman is a league average pitcher, and who knows which version of Dontrelle they will get. My guess is a worse one since he will be coming to the AL.

6. Texas March 31st, 2008 9:29 am

Two months ago the Tigers were the ’sexy’ pick to win the WS, and now all of a sudden they are old. I understand Sheffield as he has been injury prone, but Pudge has played in at least 129 games since 2003. The same can not be said of many catchers in the league (ours included). Plus this team has Jacque Jones batting ninth. Freaking ninth! As far as those pitchers are concerned I’ll take my chances with Bonderman and Willis when I know my team is going to get on base and score 5-7 runs a game. That lineup has the potential to be the most explosive lineup since that ridiculous Yankees team from 98.

7. FunBobby March 31st, 2008 10:43 am

Potential is the key word there. I could see Sheffield going down for a long period of time. Also, is Jones starting in left for them? The Tigers might also have the worst pen of all contending AL teams, they are pretty weak all the way through. I imagine they will upgrade at some point, but until then I have a hard time picking them over Cleveland.

8. Grizz March 31st, 2008 10:53 am

I like Clevelands chances this year. I believe they were one win away from winning the World Series last year if they could have beaten Boston in any of those last three games. The Tigers will score a lot of runs, and may take an early lead in the division, but I like Clevelands durability and pitching staff in August, September, and October to carry the team to a division title. Out of the National League I tend to like a healthy Philadelphia team for some reason. I like the lineup and the fact they made such a great charge down the stretch last year. They may have to make a run as a wildcard, but it’s not like that hasn’t happened before. Regardless, I am looking forward to another great season of baseball. I hope mostly to see a Twins squad that looks like they will be good in ‘09 or ‘10. It would be nice to be competitive, but I really want to have a competitive team to put on the field at the new stadium. I thought it was also interesting to see that the Twins have the lowest payroll in the AL Central. I hope everyone enjoys the games and gets to as many as they can.

9. Grizz March 31st, 2008 11:02 am

Also, I will be really mad at Gardy if Monroe starts at DH against right handed pitchers, but I wouldn’t expect anything else.

10. A. Higgins March 31st, 2008 11:08 am

I see the Tigers being similar to the Yankees the past couple years – awesome offense that carries them to the playoffs, but lack of pitching depth prevents them from surviving deep into October.

11. FunBobby March 31st, 2008 11:21 am

That is a good point. Except those Yankee teams had a great closer. Todd Jones, not great. I wouldn’t even say he is good. However the lineup is unreal. Even if sheffield misses significant time. It also depends on how quickly Granderson gets back in the lineup.

12. sirsean March 31st, 2008 11:45 am

BP discusses Granderson’s injury, saying it’ll probably take 2-3 weeks before he’s able to play again, but that his injury will make it difficult for him to grip the bat. Even though he’ll be playing, his swing almost certainly won’t be 100% 3 weeks from now.

I’d be a little worried about the Indians’ pitching staff, if I were them. Both CC and Carmona pitched a whole lot of innings last year. When the White Sox did that to their pitching staff in 2005, every one of them died soon after. It’s just something you shouldn’t do to your pitchers.

And if there’s one thing baseball teaches, it’s that anything can happen over the course of the season. ESPN really wants to be able to crown a World Series Champion in February, but they ignore the fact that it won’t happen until November. In the past 6 weeks, ESPN has picked the Tigers, Indians, Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Phillies, Braves, Cubs, and D-Backs to win the World Series, each time saying it as if it had already happened.

The games are played on the field, and the players have to interact with each other in the clubhouse. It wasn’t good for the Twins to have Torii and Johan complaining all of 2007 about money and the organization. It won’t be good for the Tigers to have Inge sitting there complaining about being benching in favor of Miggy. That kind of thing doesn’t show up in any stats, leading guys like Gleeman and Baseball Prospectus to believe it simply doesn’t exist.

13. FunBobby March 31st, 2008 3:50 pm

Well, Gardy decided to start Monroe over Kubel. Surprise. This better not become a pattern.

14. Spangler April 1st, 2008 10:48 am