Ugh

This was the worst game of the year so far. We manage to score 9 runs, and lose. We blew 2 5 run leads. The offense and the pitching looked good for the first few innings. Even after we gave up 4 runs to make it a 5-4 game, we got all 4 of those runs back.  Which is something we wouldn’t have done in the past.

What really irked me was allowing Punto to hit with the tying run on first. I understand he ALMOST hit a double to tie the game, but that does not excuse the fact that Gardy made a poor call.

On the bright side, we did score 9 runs. That shows how bad the Tigers pitching is. I’m worried this will give them lots of momentum. We need to beat them tonight. To paraphrase Ivan Drago “We must break them”.

1. sirsean April 15th, 2008 8:00 am

Gardy’s been saying for the past few days that he wants to get Punto at bats because he’ll be at the plate with the game on the line “a lot.” It seems to me that a manager would do what he can to minimize how often the worst hitter in the league bats with the game on the line.

And thanks to that abysmal showing by the bullpen and the defense, the Tigers are awake. I mean, it was pretty obvious that the Twins would be the team that lets the Tigers get their swagger back, but I was kind of hoping it wouldn’t be quite so soul-crushing.

2. MarkW April 15th, 2008 9:22 am

Isn’t it great to see the ignorance play itself out in a game situation (the situation being the game on the line).

Another bonehead move (just forget about the closers role for a moment)… Bring in Nathan in the 8th to protect the lead.. we keep our BEST (10 million dollar) pitcher in the bullpen hoping we keep the lead into the 9th so THEN he can pitch?? Blows my mind… same crap that lost us the series to Oakland 2 yrs ago.

I just can’t believe my predictions coming true in the first 3 weeks of the season! Amazing how predictable Gardy’s idiocy really is.

3. Grizz April 15th, 2008 9:23 am

I was pretty disappointed in the defensive play by Adam Everett last night. He made poor plays on trying to cut the ball off from center field, and also short armed the heck out of the ball on a throw to first. I think better play there could have helped stop the bleeding. Plus, Neshek seemed to throw hanging breaking balls exclusively, that continually got shelled all over the park. He has a pretty decent fastball and I wish he would mix up his pitches a little more. This was a very disheartening game to watch, however I think the Twins can do a lot for their cause if they come out and shut them down today. It sure seemed to me like this game was a whole lot bigger than just some mid-April game though.

4. FunBobby April 15th, 2008 9:36 am

He doesn’t seem to actually manage games. He just goes through a set list of actions. Take out starting pitcher, bring in Guerrier, take out Lamb, bring in Punto, bring in Neshek, bring in Nathan. You can throw “bring in Reyes” somewhere in there. I could do that for half of his salary. He doesn’t make his moves based on the situation. Nathan should have come in earlier.

I am also disappointed with the play of Everett. I want to like him because he isn’t Punto. I’m not sure what his deal is. I know he has had some shoulder issues. I wonder if Gardy will bench him in favor of Punto or Tolbert.

5. sirsean April 15th, 2008 9:42 am

Neshek is supposed to be an excellent pitcher, and if he’d struck out the side and gotten us to Nathan, it wouldn’t have been an issue. In fact, that’s exactly what he’s supposed to do. But then he became a vegan, consequently lost 5 MPH off his fastball and all the break off his slider, and isn’t a good pitcher any more. I propose that chants of “Eat Meat” must start up at the Dome any time Neshek shows his face.

Everett, who looks like a weasel of some sort, sucks. It’s pretty sad. I was expecting to be blown away by his awesome defense that the stat guys rave about. I haven’t been impressed at all. He doesn’t make a lot of plays, and doesn’t make many good throws. Bartlett was a LOT better defensively. I’d play Tolbert over Everett for as long as Tolbert keeps hitting, and in the long term (ie, by August) Casilla’s probably the guy.

6. Texas April 15th, 2008 9:47 am

I believe Everett is recovering from a broken leg and a bum shoulder, therein lies his problems (not a defense of his play last night obviously).

My major concern is gardy looks like a deer in headlights out there. He left Blackburn in one batter too long (although that move was somewhat defensible). He left Guerrier in way too long, why does he even send him out there for the third inning? He didn’t bring Nathan in sooner and he let Punto hit when he had Monroe and Tolbert on the bench. All of those moves are horrible for a major league manager.

Can we talk about Span for a minute too. I know he got on base a bunch last night, but some of the boneheaded routes he takes to balls as well as that 4-base error he helped Pudge with last night were god-awful.

I get the feeling that games like this will be the norm this summer as our bullpen is a bit overrated!

7. Texas April 15th, 2008 9:49 am

Neshek was starting to get figured out last year. I don’t think it has anything to do with becoming a Vegan (assuming he is doing the correct way of course).

I think Everett isn’t fully recovered and according to every defensive metric Everett is a better defender than Bartlett, lest we forget the small sample size (albeit painful one).

8. sirsean April 15th, 2008 10:06 am

Span. God damn it. He probably has Pudge on his fantasy team or something.

Neshek got “figured out” when his fastball slowed and his slider flattened … which happened right after he announced that he was done eating meat because it’s SO BAD FOR THE WHOLE WORLD. Or something. The point is, meat’s good for you. And it was good for Neshek. Not eating it is bad for Neshek. This had better come up in the arbitration hearing, when it comes to that.

I’ve seen all the crazy defensive metrics, and read all the reports saying Everett’s great out there. I’ve always been a little bit wary of advanced defensive metrics, and was interested to see this guy. I refuse to believe these unconventional stats rather than my eyes. Everett has not been impressive in actual games. He’s not ranging quickly to his left to stop balls up the middle, and his throws to first are slow, and while most of the time the throws hit Morneau in the chest, sometimes he slings it up the line.

Obviously “errors” is a crappy way to measure a defender. But just because someone has a fabulous UZR or +/- or whatever doesn’t mean they’re actually good at defense. And having actually seen Everett play, I’m a little confused as to what those advanced defensive metrics were seeing.

9. Texas April 15th, 2008 10:26 am

I wasn’t citing those metrics as defense of his play so far this year. It has been okay, I think, but really bad when we need him to be good (like yesterday). That all leads me to believe something else is going on, either he’s not fully recovered, or something, I don’t know. I’m not ready to pull the plug on Everett yet, but someone needs to get to the bottom of what is going on.

People forget that Neshek was getting hit hard at the end of last year, before Veganism. Also protein and calcium are good for you, meat not so much. What people don’t realize is that the easiest way to get protein and calcium is through meat and meat byproducts (eggs, milk, etc.) It is perfectly okay to not eat meat, lots of people do it, I did it for years, and still be a healthy person/ ball player. I think making leaps of no meat= loss of mph on fastball is ridiculous and short sighted. Towards the end of last year and the beginning of this year teams have seen Neshek pitch several times. I think Neshek and Mauer need to do a better job of mixing up pitches and locations.

As a side note: Why will we not go inside on guys, especially the Tigers? We are so worried about someone turning on a pitch that we are perfectly content to give up opposite field doubles and triples.

10. sirsean April 15th, 2008 11:53 am

Neshek became a vegetarian during the season last year, and switched to vegan during the offseason. Shortly after he switched, he was thrilled about the positive effects it was having — eating nothing but fruit for a couple weeks had given him a lot more energy!

But then that sugar high apparently went away, because after those couple good weeks, he lost everything. You can throw away that correlation if you want to, but I don’t see why you would (unless criticism of vegetarianism is somehow unacceptable in your book, in which case you’ve kind of abdicated from the argument). He stopped eating meat, he got worse at pitching. Teams had seen him several times already, and he continued to dominate them until his stuff got worse.

(As a side note, the other highly-touted new vegetarian — Prince Fielder — is batting .222 with 0 home runs. Just saying.)

11. rghrbek April 15th, 2008 12:46 pm

Tardy had nobody warmed up in the bullpen while Guerrier gets thrown out for his 3rd inning. Then he gives up two doubles before he gets Neshek going, in the bullpen. If he wants to save Neshek this year fine, then at least have Crain pitch, or some sort of plan for god sakes.

We can complain about Everett, and deservedly so, but how about Morneau not scooping that ball that pounced 5 feet in front of him. He is just horrible at first base. I always laugh when Bremer or someone states how he is going to win a gold glove someday.

The tigers have momentum now and I fully expect them to finish off the Twins today.

12. Texas April 15th, 2008 1:10 pm

It’s not about throwing away a correlation. A problem would lie in if he strictly ate fruit, which I can’t imagine anyone with access to nutritionists etcetera would. We know he has become a Vegan, no one knows what his actual eating habits are and to infer that he lost velocity on his fastball and his slider flattened out because of his diet is at best a conjecture. Which if you want to make that is your business, I however am not in the business of making assumptions based on “facts” I don’t know.

I do remember watching him at the end of last year and he was getting knocked around.

As another side note, I was a vegetarian for a long time and a vegan for awhile. It is difficult to maintain proper nutrition living these “alternative” lifestyles. Although I was a high school/college student and did not have the income to eat properly, I’m sure Neshek isn’t in that boat. I do know traveling makes it difficult to eat properly and maybe that’s his problem. Again, we don’t know.

13. Texas April 15th, 2008 1:12 pm

Also, Prince’s transition was more recently and it takes some time to transition to that lifestyle. Although I’d wish he’d figure it out, I have him on a fantasy team

14. Drago April 15th, 2008 6:46 pm