Twins 7, White Sox 0

It really feels good to beat a division rival. It feels even better to beat a pitcher who has really had our  number over the years.  It always seems like Mark Buehrle flat out dominates us, much like every other lefty in the league.

I don’t think I can say enough good things about Slowey. He flat out dominated the White Sox lineup. Although they all seem to have a terrible average, there are still more good hitters than bad ones in that batting order. In my opinion. He seemed to throw a first pitch strike to every batter. He worked the inside half of the plate very well, something it seems our pitchers don’t do.  He kept his pitch count very low, his strike to ball ratio was slightly above 2:1, which is great.  He averaged about 11 pitches per inning, and never really seemed to be in trouble. It helped that the offense gave him a nice lead in the third inning, but like I said, some of those white sox bats are capable of tying a game with one swing.

I was sitting first row behind the plate last night and noticed that home plate umpire Kerwin Danley was VERY inconsistent. It didn’t favor one team or the other, his strike zone was just bad all around. Couple that with the third base ump making an atrocious call on the Dye “homer”, and the first base ump calling Casilla safe when Konerko clearly made the tag, it was a bad night for the umpires last night. Considering we will have the same crew for four games, this could get very frustrating.

Good to see the lefties hitting Buehrle well. Span and Morneau had nice homers. On Span’s Sox CF Nick Swisher lost his glove over the center field fence while trying to make a leaping grab. A for effort Nick, but you weren’t really that close.

The two teams also seemed to play nice with one another. Gardy and Ozzie got in some tussels with the umps over the aforementioned blown calls (at least the one that hurt us was overturned, I’m guessing the officiating crew was not going to overturn two calls in one game) but there was beanball incidents or staredowns over an inside pitch. Good to see that, although I really want to see a baseball brawl live sometime in my life.

Thoughts on the game or the rapidly approaching trade deadline?

1. sirsean July 29th, 2008 8:00 am

The Dye home run was a terrible call, and I’m glad they got it right — I really didn’t expect that.

And the strike zone was absurdly inconsistent, from what I could tell. Slowey would throw one pitch that would be called a ball, then throw another one in the exact same spot and it’s a strike. It doesn’t matter whether the it was in the strike zone or not, one of them must wrong.

I wouldn’t worry about the White Sox players’ having low batting averages — they draw a lot of walks and hit a lot of home runs. This is 2008. AVG doesn’t matter all that much. (Try telling the Twins that.)

All in all, a great game. And hopefully we can carry some of that momentum forward through the series.

2. FunBobby July 29th, 2008 8:12 am

Thats a good point about batting average. Those guys get on base and hit the deep ball, often. While the twins would be content with a bunch of Jason Tyners (guys who have empty 300 averages).

What do you think of these LaTroy Hawkins rumors (or maybe its just one rumor)? I think it would be dumb to sign him. He is terrible.

3. A. Higgins July 29th, 2008 9:40 am

Mauer for LaTroy, straight up. Yankees need a catcher.

4. sirsean July 29th, 2008 12:02 pm

Heh. Yeah. We’ll see about that one, Mr Higgins.

I think the Hawkins rumor is interesting. His performance this year has been about as good as Crain’s. If we could get him — and get Brian Bass the hell off the team, for christ’s sake — it would definitely upgrade the bullpen.

And we probably wouldn’t have to give up much. He’s probably not worth even as much as a guy like Matt Macri. (Although I suppose that depends on demand, and how much other GMs want to offer.)

5. Schulte July 29th, 2008 12:08 pm

Comment spam. :)

The LaTroy Hawkins Fan Club would be thrilled to have him back in the fold.

If you had to add one player to the team right now and I had a choice between two pitchers, it would have to be Liriano over Hawkins.

6. FunBobby July 29th, 2008 12:25 pm

Do you think Liriano should be used as a reliever for the rest of the season? I’m in the camp that would like to see him has a starter, and I get the feeling the organization feels the same way. If we call up Liriano does Blackburn or Perkins move to the pen? Hernandez would be even more worthless as a reliever than he is as a starter.

7. Schulte July 29th, 2008 1:16 pm

I don’t know about the rest of the season…I concur that they view him as a starter, but isn’t the reason he’s not up with the club is that none of the current starters (apparently) have provided enough evidence to warrant a switch?

At the very least, making Liriano the setup man would definitely help and when one of the starters provides a sufficient opening, in he goes.

8. sirsean July 29th, 2008 1:53 pm

I don’t know if putting Liriano into the bullpen would be best for the team — usually when a player goes from the rotation to the bullpen, they view it as a demotion, and when they go from the bullpen to the rotation, they need to go to the minors to get stretched back out. Neither of those are good options for Liriano. I agree with the Twins’ stance on this one: When Liriano gets called up, it’ll be for good and he’ll be a starter.

And I don’t see why we’d have to choose between Liriano and Hawkins (or another mid-level reliever upgrade). Why can’t we upgrade Livan to Liriano (thus dropping the worst starter in baseball from the rotation) and Bass for Hawkins (thus dropping the worst reliever in baseball from the bullpen)? Both of those moves would DRASTICALLY improve the team.

And if we can trade Livan for ANYTHING, it kind of offsets the cost of acquiring Hawkins. (What are the odds the Yankees would take a “proven veteran” like Livan off our hands?)

9. Bob July 29th, 2008 2:24 pm

Why continue to start Monroe over Kubel vs. lefties? Though Kubel hasn’t hit lefties very well this season, he is still OPSing about 100 points higher than Monroe, the supposed “lefty masher.” Give the young talent a chance to show what they can do – everybody knows what Monroe is (and isn’t – ie a good MLB hitter).

10. FunBobby July 29th, 2008 2:35 pm

I agree, Kubel should be getting pretty much all the ABs against lefties. I think most visitors to this site feel that way. While you’re here Bob buy a “Free Jason Kubel” t-shirt from the “shop firegardy” section. That is the end of my shameless t-shirt plug.

11. sirsean July 29th, 2008 3:11 pm

We probably haven’t plugged the t-shirts enough … that may have been the first mention of them on the site.

But about Kubel, yes, he’s disappointed a little bit against lefties … but he’s still doing a lot better than Monroe against them. And he hit an RBI base hit against Perez the other night. Kubel should be getting 4+ ABs per game, for the rest of the season (career?).

12. Schulte July 29th, 2008 7:23 pm

You think Liriano would be wounded by being put into bullpen instead of going straight to the rotation from his long-term rehab assignment? I think he’d take it. He’s a professional.

Onward…re: Everett

“I basically told him, ‘I don’t have a spot for you right now. I’m not going send any of these players out for the moment.”Gardy, July 29th, 2008

Everett trumped by Bass, Crain, Monroe and Hernandez? Liriano is in the same boat I guess…

13. Schulte July 30th, 2008 8:03 am

Casilla’s injury opens door for Everett. Lucky duck.