While it has become very clear that I have a different set of wishes (and possibly goals) for the Twins than they do for themselves, I am going to lay out a list anyway. While there really isn’t much I reasonably believe the Twins will go after, I also plan on throwing in a few things I wish for them NOT to do.
- Acquire one or two right-handed bullpen arms. If the price becomes too high, stick with what you have. Don’t sign a third or fourth tier free agent just because. Give more innings to Breslow and Mijares, not scrap heap players who were slightly below league average in 2000.
- Do not trade Kevin Slowey. I am pretty sure this has already come true, as it seems that Smith has turned down several trading partners who asked for Slowey. However, I would still like to stress it.
- Use Punto off the Bench in a utility role. This is where is is most (or the only way in which he is) valuable.
- Platoon Buscher/Harris correctly. If Buscher goes 4-4 with 2 homers or something against a righty, and a lefty is pitching the next day, do not start him because he is “hot”. Do it right. Buscher against righties, harris against lefties. No questions about it.
- Do not trade Delmon. His value is WAY down from a year ago. If we trade him now, there is no way we get anything close to Garza/Bartlett. I work in the financial industry, and buying high and selling low is not what you are supposed to do. Unless you hate money/winning.