Twins Better Not Follow Yankee Footsteps

This season, the Twins will play in the third oldest stadium in baseball (behind only the Red Sox and Dodgers). It also happens to be one of the worst. But in 2010, we’ll be in the brand-spanking-newest stadium in the league, and the news coming out about it is increasingly great. Excitement is definitely building.

But the Yankees are doing what they can to strike fear into the fans of teams with new stadiums everywhere.

The Yankees deserve every pixel of bad publicity they receive over this, every blankety-blank karmic quantum of bad yankety-blank karma. My friends and I are hardly the only customers wronged in such a fashion; an informal discussion with a few other longtime Yankees ticket holders who write for various sites (including this one) reveals similarly shoddy treatment. Indeed, all of us who have something at stake short of a full-season ticket package are being screwed because the Yankees have bungled this so badly that they can’t possibly fulfill the demand. So naturally, their impulse is to trample the loyal customers who helped carry them past the three million and four million attendance milestones over the past decade. This is a story worth illuminating, not only to fellow Yankee fans who may commiserate about finding themselves up the same fetid creek, but to baseball fans everywhere.
Jay Jaffe is absolutely right about this. The Yankees are ignoring seating requests and moving their fans’ requested seating assignments to wherever they want (and to a more expensive, more distant, more obstructed location, no less). And they’re making a take-it-or-leave-it stance that can’t possibly make any of their fans happy. And bear in mind that these are loyal, long-time season ticket holders who signed up for their tickets at the new stadium as soon as possible.

If this can happen to Yankees fans, it can happen to anyone. All I can say is that the Twins had better not try to pull this kind of crap on their fans.

But just remember that if this is happening here, it can happen in your city as well. Even the green cathedrals of Wrigley Field and Fenway Park will someday fall to the wrecking ball, and when you emerge from the rubble with a lesser opportunity to visit your new ballpark, you’ll have plenty of company.
You’ve got that right. It’s getting pretty close to time for the Twins to show their fans that they respect and value their loyalty. Do the right thing.

1. FunBobby February 25th, 2009 9:45 am

The Dome is 4th (or 5th depending on your point of view) oldest in baseball. Fenway, Wrigley, and Dodger are all older. Some people consider Kaufmann to be older, but since it had an extreme renovation at some point after 1982, some considered it a new stadium after said renovation.

2. sirsean February 25th, 2009 9:52 am

That’s a good point. I probably should have thought about that before blindly quoting Rob Neyer:

“By my count, after the Twins move into their new palace next spring, only the Dodgers and the Red Sox will play in older homes than the A’s.” (Link)

Heh. It’s pretty easy to forget about Wrigley field when you live in Chicago.

3. FunBobby February 25th, 2009 10:01 am

Not to further nitpick, but according to wikipedia, the Oakland Coliseium opened in 1966. So technically the Dome is the 4th oldest in the AL (Fenway, Oakland, KC, Dome)So basically Rob Nyer didn’t research his post at all.

4. sirsean February 25th, 2009 10:03 am

I don’t really want to get sidetracked with the exact order of stadium-age, which really isn’t all that important.

But this just goes to show that you should really double check everything you read on ESPN. Or anywhere else on the internet, for that matter. A bunch of crazies around here.

5. FunBobby February 25th, 2009 10:07 am

Right.
    It is pretty lame what the Yankees are doing. I imagine the Mets are doing something similar across town. Is this more of a New York thing where going to a game tends to be more of a corporate outing? When the Brewers built their new stadium, they didn’t seem to have this issue. Nor did the Red or Pirates. Granted, none of those teams were very good.

6. sirsean February 25th, 2009 10:10 am

Their attitude is probably partially due to the corporate season ticket holders, but the article points out the surplus in the $350 seats that probably stems from corporations cutting back due to the economy.

I think another big part of it is just that it’s such a big city — you don’t like the deal we’re giving you? Then step aside, because there’s 7 million other suckers we can take money from!

I just hope the Twins don’t follow that plan, and remember that this is NOT, in fact, how it’s done.

7. FunBobby February 25th, 2009 10:17 am

Obviously I’m sure prices will go up, slightly. But from people I’ve talked to the transition for season ticket holders has been very reasonable. In fact I know a few people who bought a 20 game season ticket package this year just to get priority for the new stadium. Suites have become rather expensive, but that is to be expected. I think the twins know who their fanbase is, and if they jerk someone around, that person will tell their friends and family, and those people might take action. Whereas in NY, if someone gets screwed by the Yankees, their buddy will more than likely say “Great, more room for me”

8. sirsean February 25th, 2009 10:25 am

Yeah I haven’t heard many bad things about the Twins’ stadium transition. But the horrible news abut the Yankees’ transition didn’t start coming out in full force until a few months before the stadium opens.

I don’t want to start hearing about it, and I don’t want the Twins to act this way. I think you’re right that the Twins know who their fans are and that they need to be treated well; and I hope they don’t forget that when dollars start rolling in.

9. luxuryhandbagsonsale July 24th, 2011 1:37 am

Thanks , I’ve just been searching for info about this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I have discovered so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?

10. 500 rubles December 14th, 2011 4:16 am

Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is wonderful, nice written and include approximately all significant infos. I’d like to see much more posts like this .

11. karen January 3rd, 2012 12:51 pm

I was very happy to seek out this internet-site.I wanted to thanks in your time for this wonderful learn!! I positively having fun with each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post.