Crede Debuts Against the Yankees

Today Joe Crede makes his debut in a Twins uniform, against the Yankees. Here’s the lineup:

1. Go-Go, CF. 2. Casilla, 2B. 3. Joe C., DH. 4. MVP ‘06, 1B. 5. Cuddy, RF. 6. Young, LF. 7. Red-Dog, C. 8. Harris, 3B. 9. Punto, SS. Pitching: Scott Baker.

Obviously it’s tough to put together the best lineup without Mauer, Span, or Kubel, but I actually like this one. I’m going to go ahead and overlook the fact that Gomez is leading off, and assume that the point is to get him as many spring PAs as possible. Having Crede batting third, in front of Morneau, is promising: I continue to hope Gardy’s willing to push Mauer up into the 2 hole.

But this lineup should be able to score some runs, and I’m excited to watch them. Wait, what’s that you say? The game is on at noon, and is not available on MLB.TV? Well what the hell am I paying you guys for?

Hopefully one of our readers is in Fort Myers right now and can give us updates on the game. I’m not confident that that’s the case, but I am hopeful.

Oh, and I wonder why Crede’s DHing today. Is his back okay? Just easing him in? Gardy prefers the defense he knows (Harris) over the unknown Crede? Absolutely not a big deal and shouldn’t be given a second thought?

Yeah, I think that’s the one. No big deal. Let’s just hope for some solid hits.

1. Jeff in So Cal February 27th, 2009 9:11 am

What no predictions for this game from you?? Looks like you were a little off on your prediction yesterday! ;)

2. sirsean February 27th, 2009 9:18 am

I do not support your use of emoticons, but I will respond.

I don’t see how I can possibly attempt to predict the outcome of the game when I don’t know who’s playing for the opposing team, or even who’s pitching.

And that doesn’t even begin to touch the issue of the fact that it’s spring training, and all the good players will be out by the 5th inning and we get to see which team’s crappy nobodies can pull out a win against the other team’s crappy nobodies.

Also, my 0% success rate for the season puts my right in line with people who get paid to make such predictions, so I’m not going to lose much sleep over this.

3. Schulte February 27th, 2009 9:35 am

Turn on the smilies! :-P

4. sirsean February 27th, 2009 9:36 am

Oh my, no. Absolutely not.

What do you think this is, the internet?

5. Stu in SDGO February 27th, 2009 10:11 am

Crede’s being eased in. I like the lineup, too. I want to see some right-handed pop at the plate this year for a change.

6. Erica February 27th, 2009 10:16 am

I like the lineup, too. I’m excited about seeing how the pitchers do. I wonder if Scooter will be facing A-Ro and Tex or the B-Squad today.

7. sirsean February 27th, 2009 10:19 am

If Crede produces, Cuddyer rebounds, and Young emerges, we could have pretty good right handed power this year. Even two out of the three would be huge for us.

8. Schulte February 27th, 2009 10:30 am

Possible game updates from twinsbaseball?

9. FunBobby February 27th, 2009 10:32 am

Who the hell is Scooter? I’m assuming that you are referring to Baker. When did that become his nickname? I don’t like it. I think his nickname should be Scott Baker.

10. sirsean February 27th, 2009 10:35 am

twinsbaseball has been followed. Brilliant.

I concur with my co-blogger, FunBobby, on the issue of this newly-minted pseudonym for Scott Baker. Scooter? Really? I object as strongly as I possibly can.

If he’s going to get a nickname, it’s going to be one not based on his name. (IE, “The Baker” or something stupid like that, is right out.) And he has to earn it. He hasn’t done that yet. So let’s just stick to calling him either “Scott Baker” or just “Baker.” Agreed?

Thought so.

11. FunBobby February 27th, 2009 11:20 am

Due to the dire economic condition, I think we should ban the use of all nicknames. They are excessive and unnecessary. Not to mention kind of dumb. “Little Nicky Punto” is not a nickname, since it is significantly longer than “Nick Punto”. Or people who call Mauer “Little baby Jesus” or some such nonsense, what is that?

12. Erica February 27th, 2009 11:23 am

I’ll refrain from using Scooter on your blog, as it offends your delicate baseball sensibilities. (It just seems to fit, seeing as Baker looks far too young to be an MLB opening day pitcher.)

Still, the point stands- I want to see how these pitchers hold up against the New! Improved! Yanks lineup.

13. sirsean February 27th, 2009 11:29 am

The only difference between the Yankees and the Twins is that A-Rod and Teixeira are 20 points of OPS+ better than Mauer and Morneau. Other than that, we’re equal or better, offensively, up and down the lineup.

People don’t like to think about that because they’re The Mighty Yankees and all the projection systems have them all batting .450 with 89 HR, because all the projections systems have weighted “proximity to the center of the baseball universe” more heavily than any other factor. And we’re just the hapless, confusing “Twins,” who play in “Minnesota,” whatever the hell that is.

But as long as Baker and the rest of our pitchers don’t get wowed by the names in the lineup — and subsequently make mistakes they otherwise wouldn’t — I don’t think there’s that much to worry about.

14. FunBobby February 27th, 2009 11:46 am

We should be fine. Ian kennedy kind of sucks anyway. Not that it matters, if we win or lose. If we end up losing a close game late, and both teams have scrubs in, it really doesn’t matter. I would count it as a win if we are winning, and lose only when a bunch of pitchers who have no shot of making the 25 man roster give up a bunch of runs.

15. sirsean February 27th, 2009 11:50 am

Yeah, in spring training the win should be counted at the end of the 4th or 5th inning, whenever the first team takes out most of their good players.

16. FunBobby February 27th, 2009 2:18 pm

That is certainly not a good line by Baker.

17. sirsean February 27th, 2009 2:30 pm

No. I didn’t start listening until he was out of the game. But at least we battled back to take the L off his shoulders.

18. sirsean February 27th, 2009 2:30 pm