Since we haven’t posted anything in two weeks, I wanted to make sure everyone knows we still exist. Here’s a rundown of things that have happened in Twins-land over the past few weeks.
- Pitchers and Catchers reported. Whoo hoo!! Baseball has started. Mijares was, of course, late. He got held up at security because he had hair gel that wasn’t allowed by what TSA incarnation he was up against. The good news is he is in camp, not in the best shape, but what did everyone expect? He doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who has any plans to slim down.
- Joe Mauer still doesn’t have a contract, but he did show up with a kickass beard.
- Justin Morneau plans to “take it easy” this spring. His hope is to not break down in September. Let’s hope it works. I trust him, I think he knows what he has to do to keep himself healthy all season.
- According to Denard Span’s twitter feed, Hudson is a great clubhouse presence. He got Span into the weight room bright and early the other day. Good to know he already is exerting himself as a team leader.
- Spring training is shaping up to only have a few position battles. Third base is the big one. The two candidates are Harris and Punto. Both will make the team, its just a matter of who Gardy and co. want to start.
- The final bench spot is also up in the air. Will it be the out of options Alexi Casilla? Or a backup centerfielder? I vote for an additional CF. Does Gardy think Span won’t need any days off? Or does he think Punto can spell him every once in a while? I cringe at the thought of an outfield defense consisting of Young, Punto and Cuddyer.
- Pitching wise there are many more questions. Who is the fifth starter? I think we can all agree that Baker, Slowey, Pavano, and Blackburn are guaranteed spots. So it comes down to Liriano, Duensing, and Perkins for the final spot. Unless someone like Manship or Swarzak really steps up this spring and takes the final spot.
- I am assuming that Condrey is all but guaranteed a spot in the bullpen, so there aren’t too many questions there.
- Did I miss anything?